Technical Sales Manager - Pharmaceutical Excipients (m/f/d)
Do you have sales experience in a pharmaceutical environment and are
you open for a new challenge? Then read more about this exciting
position at a leading manufacturer of highly innovative pharmaceutical
Our client is an internationally renowned Japanese manufacturer of
high-grade products such as performance materials for the
pharmaceutical industry, with over 30.000 employees worldwide. A
European holding company was established in Germany (Rhineland) as the
headquarters for all material-related business and as a means of
strengthening the brand name in Europe.
Reason for vacancy:
Newly created position. Until now, the sales activities for
pharmaceutical excipients in Europe have been directed from Japan
without a responsible position holder in Europe.
Sales Division for Pharmaceutical Excipients in Japan
Number of subordinates:
Frequent travels in Germany and other European countries will be
required. Probably around 40 % to 50 %, depending on project status.
If the Pharmaceutical Excipients Sales Department in Europe will be
expanded in the future, the position holder has the possibility to take
over a leading function in this department.
The main objective for this position will be to increase the sales of
pharmaceutical excipients in Europe by enhancing technical sales
activities, initiating new projects and following up projects in the
pipeline. In addition, the position holder should take over a leading
role in developing closer relationships with existing distributors and
customers, further ensuring the sales activities by distributers to be
more proactive and effective in order to identify and care for the
customers’ potential needs.
Furthermore, the main tasks and priorities are:
- Managing technical sales activities of the
company’s products and services on-site at the customer. The
ideal candidate must combine technical knowledge with sales skills and
experience to ensure consistent, profitable growth in sales revenues.
- Establishing and maintaining long-term relationships both
with distributors and customers, in the latter case mainly with the
R&D departments of pharmaceutical manufacturers.
- Managing and interpreting customer requirements and working
towards customer satisfaction in terms of technical needs.
- If necessary, the position holder may coordinate or
facilitate negotiations about sales prices, discounts and delivery
conditions, which are conducted between customers and the sales
division in Japan.
- Taking measures according to objectives, short- and
mid-term strategies and action plans defined by the sales division in
Japan to improve the profit of pharmaceutical excipients products in
- While the focus should remain on the intensification and
improvement of relations to existing distributors and customers, an
additional objective is the research of potential new market
opportunities and the pursuit of business development activities by
occasionally visiting potential customers to understand their technical
- Submitting accurate reports about customer visits to the
sales division in Japan.
- Periodically collecting sales forecasts from distributers
to analyze current market trends as well as to give a continuous
impetus to sales activities by distributors.
- Attending and coordinating visits of group
members to distributors and customers.
- Regular consultation with the sales division in Japan, e.g.
to discuss sales targets.
- University degree or equivalent vocational training.
Pharmaceutical or technical background would be desirable, but is not
1) Technical Sales
- Several years of experience in technical sales of
pharmaceutical excipients, e.g. at a trading company or at a
manufacturer of pharmaceutical excipients.
- Experience in contact with R&D departments of
pharmaceutical companies would be an asset.
- R&D in regard to formulation in pharmaceutical
Special Experience / Knowledge:
- Knowledge of additive substances for pharmaceutical use,
especially of excipients such as microcrystalline cellulose, would be
- Moreover, it would be appreciated if the sales experience
has been dedicated to the value-added style of selling with emphasis on
the function of the product, rather than quantity-focused selling.
We are looking for a convincing personality, who should have especially
the following personal skills:
- Persuasive nature with proactive sales drive, focusing on
selling products via their function
- Excellent communication skills, also in regard to technical
and pharmaceutical issues
- Strong customer orientation
- Self-organized way of working, combined with the ability to
- Reliability and strength of character
- Strong intercultural competence and capacity to adapt
oneself to the workflow of a Japanese company
- Willingness to travel in/around Europe (incl. Russia) on a
- The annual salary consists of a fixed and a variable
component. The final amount of the annual salary depends on
the experience and background of the candidate.
- The place of work is in an attractive major city in
North-Rhine-Westphalia, in the Headquarters of Europe.
Your contact person
Ph. +49 211 749686-36